Sunday 20 June 2010

Note to self

I must make time to blog more often. I keep thinking of things I must put up here and then life somewhat takes over and I miss the moment. However, there have been some momentous changes here in our little corner of Somerset and it is time to update you on them.

Firstly that which I dreaded has happened. I have gone up a decade. It was traumatic and I have to admit that I still consider myself 29 and 57 weeks. However on the plus side I had an amazing party to celebrate still being in my twenties, attended by my most fabulous nearest and dearest.



Whilst I was incredibly lucky with the people I lived with in the south-east, who couldn't have made me feel more welcome, I nevertheless felt that to be 30 and still living in someone else's house half the week wasn't really where I wanted to be. Fortunately as I mentioned in a previous post I now have a brilliant new job in the south-west and managed to move home two days before my birthday!

I'm loving my new company, who have really helped me fit in, and the shorter commute is a total dream, as is living at home with my husband for the first time in three years!

In other news numbers have increased again, we bought three Tamworth weaners at the beginning of May which were swiftly nicknamed Bacon, Sausage and Tomato by a visiting friend. Whilst we have a policy not to name the animals that are going to be eaten we have chosen not to work out which boy is which so they haven't been able to develop characters in our minds.


Bertha and Bacon/Sausage/Tomato

The saddleback weaners are shortly approaching finishing - we are planning to book at least two in this week. There was a slight delay in sending them off when we realised we didn't have the right ear tags for them, and when they arrived we realised the pliers we had to fit them didn't work so had to wait a bit longer for them to be delivered. However, all has now arrived and we're preparing for the first load of pork soon.

In preparation we had a sausage making extravaganza this weekend trying several recipes from this book, though adapting them to use gluten free breadcrumbs (we may have a supplier, but that's under our hats for the moment while we work out a plan). Whilst they were ok they weren't as good as we want them to be, so we've got more work to do. One of the things we think we might need is a new sausage stuffer, as with ours the meat gets minced twice - once from lumps of meat so it can be mixed with the flavouring and then again as it's put in the sausage. This makes the sausages quite smooth and with the wrong texture we feel. So, back to the drawing board.



In other exciting news, our website is about to go live. Check it out here.

Finally, the veg is in and starting to look good, we had our first harvest this weekend with some baby gem lettuce, and the chickens are all at full capacity producing an egg a day each. We lost one of the chickens a week or two ago, she was just dead in the coop in the morning. Ed thought she hadn't been well for a few days, but fortunately all the others seem to be ok.

So, I think we're now pretty much up to speed and I will endeavour to update you more often in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment