Wednesday 7 April 2010

Self sufficiency

We're on our way...



Ed found these just 10 days after we first collected our point of lay Bluebell chickens. I was expecting them to take ages - a friend who bought chickens last year had to wait about six weeks for her first eggs. It was a very exciting moment for us - so much so that Ed had to send me a picture message and comply with my request not to eat them until I got home at the weekend! They are now residing in some specially purchased egg cups on our dresser (sad, me, no, of course not). Since then production has really picked up and we're getting around four eggs a day. Some of them have looked a little thin shelled so we bought some oyster grit to keep in their pen and they seem to be improving.

We have also bought all our vegetable seeds and I'm hoping to start planting this weekend. I am most excited about the very posh River Cottage ones we were given as an inspired Christmas present by a fabulous friend. I was slightly worried we'd missed the planting boat, but was reassured by Chris Evans on Radio 2 this morning when he said that the soil isn't warm enough for planting yet so everything needs to go in late. Hurrah!

No comments:

Post a Comment